Frequently Asked Questions
Adopting a Pet
1. Do you have a shelter where I can come adopt an animal?
No. We are a foster based rescue which means we do not have a physical location. Our foster pets live in homes with volunteer foster families.
2. Where can I adopt an animal?
SMART Rescue holds adoptions at 4 different PetSmart Locations:
• PetSmart Store #1534 in North Conroe. Adoptions are Saturdays from 12pm to 4pm and by appointment on Sunday
• Petsmart Store #3048 in Spring. Adoptions are Saturdays from 12pm to 4pm and by appointment on Sunday
• Petsmart Store #3049 in Spring. Adoptions are Saturdays from 12pm to 4pm and by appointment on Sunday
• PetSmart Store #201 in Houston. Adoptions are Saturdays from 12pm to 4pm and Sunday from 1pm to 4pm
• PetSmart Store #1046 in The Woodlands. Adoptions are Saturdays from 12pm to 4pm and by appointment on Sunday
If you need assistance outside these hours please email SMART Rescue at firstname.lastname@example.org
3. What are your adoption fees? Our adoption fees vary per animal but usually they are:
• Cats over 3 years of age - $30
• Cats/Kittens under 3 years of age - $50
• Siamese or pure bred cats/kittens - $90 - $150
• Dogs - $130 - $250
4. What comes with the adoption fee:
All animals are spayed/neutered, microchipped and up to date on vaccinations based on the age of the animal. Additional vaccines may be necessary after adoption to complete a series. These are the responsibility of the adopter.
5. What vaccines do you give to the animals?
All cats and kittens receive the distemper vaccine which covers distemper and three of the common upper respiratory viruses for felines. Dogs receive the distemper vaccine which also covers hepatitis, parvo and parainfluenza. Cat and dogs over 16 weeks generally have a rabies vaccine prior to adoption. We encourage you to share the health record you were given at adoption with your vet. They will let you know when they recommend you visit them for future care
6. How does the adoption process work?
• You complete an application either online or at one of our adoption locations;
• If applicable, we’ll call your veterinarian to ensure that current and/or previous pets have been spayed/neutered, vaccinated and well cared for;
• We strive to find the right pet for each home so we conduct a brief interview to help us determine your needs and preferences, find out about your daily schedule and discuss your experiences with both previous and current pets;
• A home visit is performed prior to completing a dog adoption;
• For renters, we require proof of pet deposit payment or confirmation from landlord that none is required prior to completing the adoption.
7. How do I pay the adoption fee?
We accept cash, check or credit (Mastercard or Visa). There is a $30 fee for returned checks.
8. Can a SMART Rescue animal be adopted out of state?
We do adopt out of state but the adopter is responsible for any fees related to the safe transportation of the pet. You will go through the routine adoption process and we may request that a home visit be performed by a reputable rescue organization in your area.
9. If I am the first one to apply for an animal, will I get it?
Maybe. We are not a first-come, first served rescue. We try our very hardest to find the best match for our animals and our adopters. Being first doesn't hurt, but it's not a guarantee. We commit to being as open and honest about the selection process as we can.
10. Can you tell me how big a puppy is going to get?
Unfortunately, no. We usually don't know either of the puppy's parents, so we have no idea what lies in his or her gene pool. We love updates on our puppies to see how they are doing and if our breed guess was close.
11. What do I do if I adopt a SMART Rescue animal and start having problems with it?
Contact us and we will try to help resolve the problem. Small, easily correctable problems can turn into major problems if not addressed early on. We have a seasoned volunteer team so we probably have experience dealing with whatever issue you may be facing.
12. What do I do if I cannot keep my SMART Rescue animal?
If for any reason you cannot keep your animal, let us know as soon as possible. We will take our animal back. The sooner you notify us, the better as we sometimes need time for space to open up in a foster home.
13. I want to help. Do you need any foster homes?
Yes, yes, yes! In fact, because we do not have a facility, foster homes are the backbone of our organization. Without foster homes, we could not rescue anyone!
14. What does it mean if I foster a SMART Rescue animal?
As a foster, you would give a pet a temporary home - until we find a suitable permanent adoptive home. You will work with an adoption coordinator to arrange bringing your foster to adoption events.
15. What if I want to adopt my SMART Rescue foster?
We would be thrilled to have you give your foster a permanent home. Fosters go through the routine adoption process and pay adoption fees.
16. What if my SMART Rescue foster needs to go to the vet?
If you have a concern about your foster, please contact your foster home coordinator to determine if the pet needs a vet visit and which vet is appropriate for the situation. We have experienced rescue volunteers who are able to provide routine care such as vaccines.
17. What if I have to go out of town when I have a SMART Rescue foster?
Let us know of your plans as early as possible, and we will help you find a temporary foster. If you have a friend, neighbor or family member who would be a suitable temporary foster, please let us know.
18. What if I can’t foster all the time?
You can still help A SMART Rescue. When fosters go out of town or we get an unexpected animal return, we need people who can foster temporarily.
19. What if I want to help but I can’t foster?
We always need:
• Adoption Counselors
• Cage Cleaners (cat cages at the PetSmart adoption centers)
• Transporters (to and from the vet, to and from adoption events, etc.)
• Administrative Helpers
• Donations! Either monetary donations or donations of supplies are always needed.
20. I need to surrender a pet that I did not adopt from SMART Rescue. Can you help?
We are happy to help individuals in need to re-home their pets provided that we have space in a foster home, the funds to care for the animal and the animal meets our adoption criteria.
21. What information do you need to re-home my pet?
• Please contact us at email@example.com and provide a description (as much information as possible) and picture of your pet.
• Please consider a tax deductible donation to help offset the costs of taking your pet into our program.